The facial aging process causes multiple changes to the face and neck, including an increase in lines/wrinkles, darkening under the eyes, sagging of the skin, jowls etc. There are multiple causes, including: loss and migration of fat pads, stretching of ligaments, repeated muscle activity, loss of skin elasticity, bony changes, etc. Although Botox® will not solve all these problems, there are many patients in your practice who may benefit from Botox® treatment.
What does aging of the face look like?
- thinning of the skin
- loss of fat/ptosis of fat pads
- stretching of ligaments
- resorption of bone
- loss of collagen/elastin
- repeated muscular contraction that produces lines/wrinkles
- darkening of the skin below the eyes
What are some of the symptoms of facial aging in the mid-face, lower-face and neck?
- Infra-orbital lines (lines below the eyes, sun damage, muscle movements – squinting and smiling)
- Dark skin under the eyes (aging process, hyperactivity of the elevator muscles)
- Naso-jugal groove (“tear trough”, transition between lower eyelid and cheek, skin becomes thinner and darker than slightly lower nose or cheek skin, caused by thinning/stretching of underlying ligaments, recession of facial bone and shrinking of facial fat)
- Nasio-labial folds (lines that run from the sides of the nose to the corner of the mouth)
- Lip lines “Smoker Lines” (lines around the mouth, caused by repeated activation of muscles around the mid-face – talking, pursing of the lips, occurs even in non-smokers)
- Marionette lines (vertical lines that run downward from the corners of the mouth, tend to show sadness or anger, caused by loosening of ligaments, depletion of fat pads, downward pull of muscles, can be inherited)
- Dimpled chin (caused by over-active mentalis muscle)
- Jowl development (caused by loss of skin elasticity, downward migration of facial fat pads and pull of platysma muscle)
Who is a good candidate for Botox®?
- < 30 years : prevention of lines and wrinkles
- 35-50 years: treatment of lines and wrinkles
- > 50 years: greater need for other modalities (laser, dermal fillers, surgery)